February 13, 2019
The 2019 Peter Jowett Scholarship Topic is…
The opportunity has come for those in the convenience industry to once again shine on the local stage and also win a trip to the NACS Show in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Atlanta is the home of Coca Cola & CNN and much much more.
The Peter Jowett Scholarship Award is a unique opportunity for NZACS members to challenge others in New Zealand in thinking about our industry.
Our two NZACS member winners will attend the show and be required to put together a joint presentation highlighting their insights from the show. This will be presented at the first NZACS event following their return.
Return airfares and accommodation to the NACS show in Atlanta – October 1st – 4th
The 2019 topic is:
“Convenience retailing is facing a number of challenges that may impact sales and profitability. Some traditionally high volume categories are in decline, and new threats and opportunities such as the focus on obesity and ‘better for you products’ are emerging.
How would you recommend tackling the future so that the Convenience industry continues to grow profitable sales by satisfying evolving customer needs? You may use data and information available from other countries in your analysis and recommendation.”
Employees from Retailer and Supplier member companies are invited to select candidates between 21 and 36 years of age for the 2018 competition (candidates must be no older than 36 years of age on 31st of May 2019.
- Participants will be required to register their interest by 30 April 2019 by Clicking Here
- Participants will be required to submit the following by emailing Dave Hooker [email protected] by July 1st 2019
- 10-15 slide PowerPoint presentation (include brief explanation of each slide)
- An executive summary covering the following:
- Your plan / idea (what is your idea)
- The argument (addressing the topic)
- The reasons (how your idea will work)
- Presenter biography (e.g. who you are, your career path)
- Local judges will assess all submissions and select the six finalists. These finalists will present their 10-12 minute presentation at the Peter Jowett and Industry Awards event scheduled for August 22nd in Auckland.
- The audience of members present will vote on the presentations and select the best two presentations.
Winners will then travel to Atlanta in October. NZACS will cover the cost of flights and accommodation for the duration of the NACS Show. By participating you acknowledge that should you win the Peter Jowett Scholarship, your employer will release you from work obligations to travel to Atlanta during those NACS Show dates. The prize is non-transferable.
In the past some members have run an internal competition for their staff as a way of selecting their candidates. This is an excellent development program for people working in the convenience channel.
The scoring guidelines for selecting the finalists for the New Zealand competition are:
- Addresses the question 40%
- Innovative thinking 25%
- Idea could be implemented 25%
- Quality of presentation 10%
To register your interest, please click on the link below: