March 16, 2020
2020 Peter Jowett Topic Announced
The opportunity has once again come for those in the convenience industry to shine on the local stage, impress us with their ideas and inspiration, and be in to win a trip to the NACS Show in Las Vegas.
The Peter Jowett Scholarship Award is a unique opportunity for NZACS members to challenge the thinking within, and about, our industry.
Our two NZACS member winners will attend the Las Vegas show and be required to put together a joint presentation highlighting their insights from the show. This will be presented at the first NZACS event following their return.
Return airfares and accommodation to the NACS show in Las Vegas.
Conference: 11-14 October 2020
Expo: 12-14 October 2020
Las Vegas Convention Centre, Las Vegas, USA
The 2020 Topic:
In a world where fuel prices are on the rise, the cost of living is increasing, the call to look after our natural environment is getting louder, electric-powered transport is increasing in popularity, the biggest dollar sales c-store category (tobacco) is decreasing in sales, what does the c-store industry need to do – other than food-to-go and coffee – to have a sustainable future in New Zealand?
Employees from Retailer and Supplier member companies are invited to select candidates between 21 and 36 years of age for the 2020 competition (candidates must be no older than 36 years of age on 31st May 2020).
- Participants will be required to register their interest by 30 April 2020 by emailing Dave Hooker [email protected]
- Participants will be required to submit the following by email:
- 10-15 slide PowerPoint presentation (include brief explanation of each slide)
- An executive summary covering the following:
- Your plan / idea (what is your idea)
- The argument (addressing the topic)
- The reasons (how your idea will work)
- Presenter biography (e.g. who you are, your career path)
- Local judges will assess all submissions and select the six finalists. These finalists will present their 10-12 minute presentation at the Peter Jowett and Industry Awards event scheduled for 22 August in Auckland.
- The audience of members present will vote on the presentations and select the two best presentations.
Winners will then travel to Las Vegas in October. NZACS will cover the cost of flights and accommodation for the duration of the NACS Show. By participating you acknowledge that should you win the Peter Jowett Scholarship, your employer will release you from work obligations to travel to Las Vegas during those NACS Show dates. The prize is non-transferable.
In the past, some members have run an internal competition for their staff as a way of selecting their candidates. This is an excellent development program for people working in the convenience channel.
The scoring guidelines for selecting the finalists for the New Zealand competition are:
- Addresses the question 40%
- Innovative thinking 25%
- Idea could be implemented 25%
- Quality of presentation 10%
To register your interest, please email Dave Hooker – [email protected]